On 15 October members of DBWA took time out of their busy schedules to use their white cane skills for a walk around King’s Park in Perth.
The group met at the Zamia Cafe, walked through the park, visiting the DNA Tower.
After the walk everyone enjoyed a catch-up and meal back at the cafe
Here is a great YouTube clip done for International White Cane Day>
Technology Workshop – Saturday 3rd October 2020 Perth
Deafblind West Australians hosted a face to face in person Technology Workshop on Saturday 3rd October at Citiplacein Perth. We had 13 members participate in this Auslan Interpreted event .
Our Technology Expert, answers your questions.
Deafblind West Australians Annual Planning Day 2020
“See us, Hear us, Know us, Join us”
On the 5th September Deafblind, West Australians held their Annual Planning Day and Annual General Meeting.
The day was very successful with over 30 people who participated in activities – members shared ideas for events, planning, projects, advocacy and what to do in the next twelve months.
We discussed the NDIS ILC funded See us, Hear us, Know us, Join us project progress. And Karen Wickham provided an update on the Deafblind Camp to be held from Friday the 12th of March to Monday the 15th of March 2021 at Woodman Point Recreation Camp with the “Glitz & Glamour on the Red Carpet” theme.
We had 2 members speak on their topics:
- Presentation by Deborah Kazich on “My Craft Skills”
- Presentation by Roberto Trimboli on “Being a Deafblind Business Man”
We event Yarn Bombed Eddie Szczepanik, as part of our Yarn Bombing project, which will continue into 2021.
What are we doing in 2021?
- We have the Deafblind West Australian Camp in March
- We will be Yarm Bombing at the DB Camp and other events
- We will be doing some group walks to various places
- We will be holding several Technology Workshops
- We will have some pub lunches at the Balmoral Hotel
- We will have several events as part of Deafblind Awareness Week in June
- We will hold a High Tea
- We are doing a fundraising Walk, where DBWA members get sponsored for walking laps around a metropolitan lake
Deafblind West Australians are also looking for more ideas of events and activities that our members want to do, please email Erika at firstname.lastname@example.org with your suggestions.
Below is the new Deafblind West Australians Board. some members left the Board and DBWA thanks them for their time, their knowledge and hopes they can use the experience to participate on other Boards.
Deafblind West Australians Board Members:
- Rita Kleinfield-Fowell – Chair
- Eddie Szczepanik – Deputy Chair
- Rhiannon Green – Secretary
- Jennifer Weir – Treasurer
- Penny Rogers – Committee Member/Grant Writer
- Clair Josling – Committee Member/Events
- Roberto Trimboli – Committee Member/Cultural Ambassador
- Peter Cliff – Committee Member
- George Szczepanik – Committee Member
- Allan Cox – Committee Member
- Kirsty Lim – Committee Member
Non Board Members:
- Erika Webb – Project Manager See us, Hear us, Know us Join Us Project
- Greg Madson/Erika webb – Policy & Governance (supporting the Board)
- Karen Wickham/Linni Oliver/Melissa Evans – (supporting the Board)
- Jennelle Macri/Alex Madden/Dominic DAgostino/Mark Macri and other Communication Guides – (supporting the Board)
Upcoming events for 2020:
- Our annual Christmas Party Picnic and BBQ in the Park on 6 December
On the day members also received their new Deafblind West Australians T-Shirt – see photo below.
For more information about Deafblind West Australians contact us via email: DBWA